30 May 2017
UCU has announced today that its members at Manchester Metropolitan University on both the Manchester and Crewe campuses will walk out on strike for two days on Tuesday 20 and Wednesday 21 June.
Two days’ strike action were originally planned for last week, but were cancelled after the attack on Monday night. The row is linked to job losses arising from the closure of the university’s Crewe campus.
UCU says strike action is a last resort after the university refused its suggestions to postpone planned compulsory redundancies for this summer, and turned down the offer of talks with conciliation service ACAS to try and resolve the dispute.
UCU regional official Martyn Moss said: ‘Strike action is always a last resort, but members will walk out next month if the university refuses to address the jobs issue. We have suggested postponing redundancies planned for this summer and to talk through conciliation service ACAS. The university has refused both suggestions, despite the fact that UCU members at Manchester Metropolitan University have made it quite clear that they are prepared to take strike action to defend jobs at their university.’